Monday, July 25, 2016

Transmission of the Dharma

Last night I returned from the annual Five Mountain Zen Order retreat in Kansas City. Over the three days, I had a great time making and renewing friendships with the sangha. Special thanks to An Giao Roshi (bottom center) for joining us all of the way from the Desert Zen Center in California. And many bows for the gracious hospitality of the Chuan Tu Bi Buddhist temple for hosting the retreat.


On Saturday, July 23, Ven. Wonji Dharma transmitted the Dharma to Richard Jisho Sears (bottom left) and me (bottom right). I am humbled by my teacher's patience and faith in me. 

Many bows, Ven Wonji. I hope to make you proud. 

Congratulations also to Richard. Sorry for splitting the pants you let me borrow!

As a recognition of transmission, my teacher gave me the name Taesan, a Korean transliteration of the Chinese Tai Shan, which means Great Eastern Mountain (I live in New Jersey). 

None of this would have been possible without the unwavering love and support of my wife and children. Thank you for your endless patience and encouragement as I stumble along this path. I love you all dearly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment